Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Minorities becoming majority by 2042... what's your point??

A story (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-licens0814,0,7027479.story) making the rounds now is the new report by the census suggesting white people will no longer be the majority by 2042. My question is, what's the point of this? Is this good news? Is this bad news? Why is this such a big story? Who really cares? I think the majority of the media makes it a big story because race in general, anything dealing with race, is an obsession of many in the media. I know I sound naive, but I'd love to see a day when stories on race are near the back of the newspaper (wait, make that the bottom of the website... newspapers are dying off and perhaps one day will not be printed at all,) not because who we are is not important, but because who we are is so much more than the color of our skin. I truely believe that is EXACTLY what Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. meant in his "I have a dream" speech. Go ahead, read the transcript, or better yet, listen to the speech yourself and tell me if I'm wrong... http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm. I think the speech was more about the day when race is NOT THE ISSUE. When race is the last thing we see. Apparently, we are not here yet. Actually, let me take that back. I think more and more Americans ARE there now. It just seems that story isn't being told as often as stories about our differences. I suppose that isn't as "sexy" as stories of racial tensions. I believe Rev. King wanted us to look at the REST OF WHO WE ARE, not just the COLOR OF OUR SKIN. One day, perhaps the majority of the media will understand that as well.

Raymond
Let me know what you think! Post a comment now... and sign up for my twitter at www.twitter.com/raymondonline

No comments: