Thursday, August 28, 2008

All politics aside, congratulations America...

All politics aside, tonight is a huge night for America. The Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. would have a huge smile on his face right now. While I don't support all of Barack Obama's proposals (well, rather, I'm not sure what he is proposing other than "change",) the fact that a black man has made it as far as he has says something about where we are as a country. It doesn't surprise me. I've thought for years that if a serious candidate who happens to be black ran for President, he/she would have as good a shot as any white man of winning. I didn't realize how black Americans thought about that until the primary results began to come in and little by little, it was proven that white Americans were willing to vote for a black candidate. I can't tell you how many black friends of mine reacted with shock that white people WOULD vote for a black candidate. If for no other reason than that, I can say Obama winning the primary was a good thing. No matter what happens in November, the fact is now known to ALL of America... Americans WILL vote for a black man for President. Obama has positioned himself as a man who wants to be President who HAPPENS to be black. Obama ran on the content of his character, not the color of his skin. Politics aside, congratulations America!

Raymond
Let me know what you think! Post a comment now... and sign up for my twitter at www.twitter.com/raymondonline

No comments: