Sunday, August 31, 2008

The attacks on Palin begin...

I understand attacking political candidates on their positions on the issues. However, it amazes me how fast the "attack machine" has gone overboard on Sarah Palin. Apparently, the left is not interested in WOMEN moving up in politics as much as LIBERAL WOMEN moving up in politics. Alan Colmes, whom I must admit, I had a bit of respect for before today apparently posted information so offensive it is no longer listed ( http://www.alan.com/2008/08/31/heres-that-screenshot-of-the-original-post/ ) on his website. The point he was making was that Palin didn't take care of her baby during pregnancy. You would think the left, many of whom (including Bill Clinton) believe an abortion is fine up until the day the baby could be born a healthy child, would have some nerve complaining about prenatal care. According to several blogs online, he posted an article claiming (among other things) that her flying home to deliver the baby was not in the best interest of the health of the child. He also posted a blog about the fact that the Palins eloped 20 years ago, and had their son 8 months later. He (http://www.alan.com/2008/08/29/conservative-family-values/) implied that this questions their family values. I was bit aware that conservatives claim to be perfect. Conservatives simply acknowledge that there IS a right and wrong. The fact that they married and had the baby also says something about their family values, however I'm not sure Alan "gets" that. Quite frankly, getting married and having the baby also shows you what they think about responsibility. Then, this next one is equally disturbing... "The Outlook of a Liberal Veteran" is ( http://oiflog.blogspot.com/2008/08/something-doesnt-add-up-with-sarah.html ) repeating the rumors that one of Palin's daughters may really be the mother of Palin's infant. To even repeat rumors like that as possible fact without knowing for sure shows a lack of class. The blog references ( http://openthread.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/8/30/121350/137/486/580223) a link to The Daily Kos that goes into detail about why, since Palin didn't "look" pregnant (I assume according to the medical experts at "Daily Kos",) then she must not be the mother of the child. Now, I'm no statistician, but what would be the statistical probability that a doctor or someone else would deliver the child of the daughter of the governor of a state, while at the same time, the governor would go to the hospital to give birth, but not actually be giving birth, and NOBODY involved (doctors/nurses/hospital employees) would talk about it? Let's go a step further. Add to that the fact that this governor is now the VICE PRESIDENTIAL nominee for one of the 2 main political parties. Like I said, I'm not statistician, but that would have to be SOME CONSPIRACY in order to be true. I love conspiracy theories as much as the next guy, but come on... I think this is just the first of many examples of tasteless rumors that will be brought up to fight this trailblazing woman. No matter what anyone says, and even if McCain does not win in November, she is still the 2nd woman to be on the ticket for a Presidential nomination. It's too bad the very people who claim to support women in this country have turned against Palin almost as fast as many on the left turned from Hillary Clinton once it looked like her chance of becoming President had faded. By most accounts, Palin even comes to her position as nothing more than an average American who wanted to change the way things were run in her city/state (and now nation.) You would think that might ring with the left, since they often claim to support the little man and woman in this country.

Raymond
Let me know what you think! Post a comment now... and sign up for my twitter at www.twitter.com/raymondonline

4 comments:

T said...

If engaging in Rovian politics and swift-boating are the paradigms of class, then I take that as a compliment.

Raymond Owens said...

It was meant as such:) If you disagree with the way Rove or the swift-boat guys did their thing, then why would you play the game the same way? I believe ALL side in politics would be doing themselves a favor by not stooping to those levels. I mean, honestly, what does a baseless attack on whether the governor's baby is hers or her daughter's accomplish?

T said...

You're right. It's a chicken and egg thing I guess.

Both sides play the game like this because it works, unfortunately. This particular case clearly works to spark debate, and isn't completely baseless. My wife is a slim woman, and she looked nothing like that in the seventh month.

Raymond Owens said...

Oh, I agree with you. My wife didn't look like that at 7 months, but I've seen women at my daughter's school who look like they have a huge stomach at 6 months, and then I've seen women about to give birth who don't appear to be pregnant at all. I can't tell you how many stories I've read about teenagers who hid a pregnancy from their family. Obviously those kids didn't look too big, or their parents would have asked more questions. I guess with this story, it is wrong on several levels. It is implying that the Governor is lying. It is also implying her teenage daughter was knocked up. For all we know, her teenage daughter could be perfectly innocent. These things just irritate me in politics. I realize both sides use the technique, but one day it would be nice to see that stuff stop.