Saturday, September 13, 2008

Obama ad: McCain can't use computer.. .doesn't mention war injuries that makes that difficult...

This is a story that has my blood boiling... apparently, being injured serving your country is not a good excuse to not be as "techno-savy" as some in politics believe you should be. No matter what your politics, this should be something that upsets you as well.

Sen. Barack Obama has a new ad out, highlighting how "old" John McCain is...



http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/still_ad/

...while I suppose it is the Obama campaign's right to talk about McCain's age, the part that irritates me is the following...

"He admits he still doesn't know how to use a computer, can't send an e-mail."

That statement is FINE, unless you consider the facts...

FACT 1: McCain suffered injuries as a POW that make it difficult for him to type on a keyboard...
FACT 2: Unless FORBES was making the news up, as far back as 2000, it was reported that McCain, through the assistance of his wife, has been sending email..

"In certain ways, McCain was a natural Web candidate. Chairman of the Senate Telecommunications Subcommittee and regarded as the U.S. Senate's savviest technologist, McCain is an inveterate devotee of email. His nightly ritual is to read his email together with his wife, Cindy. The injuries he incurred as a Vietnam POW make it painful for McCain to type. Instead, he dictates responses that his wife types on a laptop. "She's a whiz on the keyboard, and I'm so laborious," McCain admits." (http://www.forbes.com/asap/2000/0529/053_print.html)

I sure hope nobody in the Obama campaign realized that McCain's war injuries make it difficult to use a computer the way you and I can on a regular basis. I also assume nobody in the campaign bothered to do 5-10 minutes of research on google prior to releasing the ad. However, that is a lot of assuming. We all know what assuming does.

I'd love to hear what you think on this... am I being oversensitive, or is this about as low as any campaign can go?


Raymond
Let me know what you think! Post a comment now... and sign up for my twitter at www.twitter.com/raymondonline

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's low. The man has injuries from war and they are pretty much making fun of him.

Raymond Owens said...

Shelly,

You are absolutely correct. I wish this was some outside group running the ad, because then it could be attributed to them. However, that's not the case. I don't know how they can sleep with an ad out like that. Even if you hate what McCain would do as President, you should respect his service to this country. Apparently that's not the case.

Raymond