Monday, September 8, 2008

TRUE face of feminists




I have to apologize for not updating the blog since Palin's speech last week.  To be honest, I think I was just stunned into not blogging.  As I watched the speech, I was thinking of several things... that I might be watching the US version of Margaret Thatcher... That I was looking at the modern Ronald Reagan... that she was a similar woman to my own mom... who raised us while still working and proving that women can do the same jobs men can do.  I've always thought of my mom as a feminist of the TRUE variety.  I've never bought into the lie that N.O.W. or people like Gloria Steinem or women like her are the true feminists.  I think that was a media creation.  I ran across this post from NPR... http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94369835&ft=1&f=1102 that asks if Palin is the NEW face of feminists.  I agree, she is the face of feminists.  However, I am not sure this is NEW.  I believe women all across this country are just like Sarah Palin.  They want to do the same jobs as men, but at the same time, they don't want to pretend they are men.  A TRUELY strong woman doesn't need to look/dress in a masculine way in order to be a true feminist.  Sarah Palin is the embodyment of this point.  She is making the tough decisions, she is a leader, she is a mother, she is a friend, she is a real woman.  The incredible reaction we are seeing to her, from the 37 million people who watched her speech, to the crowds showing up to see her on the campaign trail, to the brand new polls out showing a BIG jump (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html) all prove this.  Women (and men for that matter) across this country have been waiting for a REAL, TRUE feminist to show up on the scene.  Nothing in the definition of a feminist (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/feminist) suggests that women have to act like men or dress like men to be a feminist.  Quite the opposite.  I believe a true feminist can be who she is.  She doesn't need to act like a man to be a woman.  That is what I've seen so far from Sarah Palin.  She is who we see on TV.  Her friends say this, people from Alaska say this.  It is refreshing to hear from a politician who knows who she is, and isn't afraid to be that in public. 
 
Raymond
Let me know what you think! Post a comment now... and sign up for my twitter at www.twitter.com/raymondonline

No comments: