Saturday, November 1, 2008

Happy 90th Birthday Billy Graham!

There aren't many people I can think of who hold the position that Billy Graham does. I was flipping through the TV tonight, and I ran across a tribute to Rev. Billy Graham. He is turning 90. Billy Graham has always been held to extremely high esteem in my family. While I understand he is not perfect, he is an example of the power of allowing the Lord to use your life. If there is someone alive today on earth who will have a better welcome to heaven than Billy Graham, I can't think of who that could be. A month or two ago, his son Franklin Graham was in town to do a Franklin Graham Festival. Franklin is taking up his father's cross to bring others to the Lord through crusades. One of the things I love about my job in TV is that I get the chance to meet newsmakers, and often I get a chance to have a short conversation with people in the news. I had the chance to talk to Franklin Graham just before he kicked off his Festival. I was impressed with what he was doing in Charleston, and I told him so, but when I was talking to him, I couldn't help but think that this was Billy Graham's son. Billy is a living example of what it means to be a man of God. I wish I had had the chance to go to a Billy Graham Crusade. I look forward to talking to him in heaven. They just showed a clip of Billy Graham getting a star at the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It points out what kind of man he is. He said that years prior to that ceremony, he was asked if he would be willing to have a star put on the walk named after him. He said he couldn't think of a reason God would want a star with his name on it. He said years later, he recalled meeting people from Hollywood who were Christians. He said it dawned on him that one day a child might walk by his star and ask his parents "which rock star was this Billy Graham?" He said that might be an opportunity to explain that he was a preacher, and perhaps someone would have the message of Christ explained to him, and someone may come to Christ because of that. He's a great man, and he keeps his message simple. If you aren't really familiar with him, I'd invite you to take a look at the 2 minute clip of his sermon from decades ago below. It is as relevant today as it was the day he preached it. Thanks Billy! Happy Birthday.

Raymond



Let me know what you think! Post a comment now... and sign up for my twitter at www.twitter.com/raymondonline

No comments: